Every Friday I post the Top 5 of one of my classic hit music charts based on personal preference and influenced by radio airplay from either 15, 25, 30, or 35 years ago this weekend (rotating each week).
It’s the 2ND Friday of the month, so I go back 25 years ago. Here it is – for the week ending Sunday November 10TH 1996:
- “Head Over Feet” – Alanis Morissette
- “One And One” – Robert Miles
- “Do You Miss Me ?” – Jocelyn Enriquez
- “Let’s Make A Night To Remember” – Bryan Adams
- “If It Makes You Happy” – Sheryl Crow
I’m gonna do this “Mini-Thoughts” style. Longtime readers of my blog know what that means:
- Alanis was HUGE back in the mid-to-late-1990s.
- She scored with 9 hits on my chart through 1999.
- “Head Over Feet” was her 3RD (and final) # 1 smash (for me).
- Everyone remembers “Children” from Robert Miles.
- It was a European dance smash that broke-through the U.S. market.
- But “One And One” was less successful.
- It did break-through here in Miami; hence, it’s # 2 peak on my chart.
- British Trance singer Maria Nayler performed the vocals on “One And One”.
- “Children” could be considered as one of the first trance hits on my chart.
- “One And One” – the 2ND trance hit.
- Trance music would later explode and take over my chart in 2002. #EDM
- “Do You Miss Me” was a regional hit in dance-favored U.S. radio markets.
- It was a long-lasting smash here in dance-friendly Miami.
- I think Y-100 played it 10 times a day for more than half-a-year.
- It spent 21 weeks on my chart – including its first 19 in my Top 10.
- Like myself – Jocelyn Enriquez is part Filipino.
- She was only 21 when “Do You Miss Me ?” was a hit on the radio.
- Nowadays Jocelyn is a born-again Christian !
- In fact she’s a Worship Pastor alongside her husband of 22 years.
- They serve at Calvary Chapel Of San Antonio (Texas).
- It’s awesome to discover that a mainstream pop artist follows Christ now.
Next Friday on RETRO I’ll go back 30 years ago to November 1991. “I’m so glad you’re my girl. I’ll do anything for you. Call you every night, and give you flowers too. I thank the Lord for you, and think about you all the time. I ask Him everyday that you’ll forever be mine.” That Top 5 hit will be featured next week. Thanks for going RETRO with me !
This is the end of an abbreviated blog weekend, as #SundayScripture and #Top10Monday are on hiatus for the rest of this month of November. They will both return during the 1ST weekend of December. I’ll be back next Thursday and Friday with 2 more blog posts.
All rights reserved (c) 2021 Christopher M. Day, CountUp Ministries