As I begin writing this blog entry tonight there are just about 115 minutes remaining in 2008. I’ll probably be in bed asleep as 2009 officially arrives, but I’ll catch it fairly new – about 6 or 7 hours – once I awake in the morning.
2008 was the greatest year of my entire Life, and I expect 2009 to surpass it – just as 2008 surpassed 2007 – and 2007 surpassed 2006. It just keeps on getting brighter and more glorious on God’s fantastic journey for me. He constantly amazes me with His miracles.
If you wish to see why 2008 was so glorious for me then simply read any of the 613 blog entries that I posted – at least one per day – every single day from January 01ST through December 31ST.
Thank You Everyone for spending just a small portion of your Life with me via this blog and-or LIVE and in-person. Let’s keep on doing it into 2009. I’m ready. You ?
Until we hang out again in 2009 I wish you a very Happy New Year, and REMEMBER THIS ! It’s a Chevrolet commercial in living technicolor from nearly 60 years ago that plays more like a Chamber Of Commerce promo for the Miami Florida area – the way that it was back in 1950 !
Earlier today I enjoyed a MASSIVE Lunch of Chinese Food (chicken with broccoli and rice and an egg roll), so that can only mean one thing – a two-for-one sale in fortune cookie messages !
– Happy news is on its way to you.
– In this world of contradiction, It’s better to be merry than wise.
I can’t wait to find out what that happy news is all about. I’ve always known that it’s better to be merry than wise. I’m not really that smart. I just play the role of a wise guy in public. [I heard that !]
Here’s how it all went down:
SUN 1:00 PM EST (10)
Rams At Falcons – YES !
Patriots At Bills – YES !
Chiefs At Bengals – SHOCKER ON THE LEVEE – NO !
Bears At Texans – YES !
Giants At Vikings – SHOCKER IN THE DOME – NO !
Panthers At Saints – SHOCKER IN THE BAYOU – NO !
Browns At Steelers – YES !
Raiders At Buccaneers – NO !
Titans At Colts – SHOCKER AT LUCAS OIL – YES !
Lions At Packers – YES !
SUN 4:15 PM EST (5)
Jaguars At Ravens – YES !
Seahawks At Cardinals – YES !
Redskins At 49ers – SHOCKER AT CANDLESTICK PARK – NO !
Dolphins At Jets – SHOCKER IN NEW JERSEY – YES !
Cowboys At Eagles – YES !
SUN 8:15 PM EST (1)
Broncos At Chargers – YES !
THIS WEEK – 11-5 (.688) – ‘PLAYOFF-BOUND’
OVERALL – 165-90-1 (.646)
The picks don’t end here ! Be sure to check out my fresh new picks for this upcoming weekend’s wild card playoff games tomorrow afternoon here on the big green blog. You won’t regret it pal.
It’s the final weekly edition of 2008, and it goes a little something like this:
1. It’s the 365TH day of the year. 75% of the time that day is New Year’s Eve, but this was a magic year – one of those rare leap years that only occurs whenever we have a Presidential Election – and a Summer Olympics. Tomorrow is Day 366 of 2008, and at the end of it we can put a bow on it and wrap it up and place it within our vast archives of Life.
2. My Grandmom would have been 93-years-old today. She joined her Creator in 2004. My Granddad would have been 97-years-old this Saturday. He’s been with the Angels since 1994. I have nothing but good memories of both of them from the 1970s into the 1980s.
3. I believe that this month will go down as one of the warmest Decembers here in South Florida America’s Riviera over the past 100 years – just as last month was one of the chilliest Novembers in modern recorded history. If this trend keeps up then cold weather should return to us in January. It’s all about the jet stream kid !
4. I got a lot of nice Christmas cards and gifts over the past month. Apparently I have a reputation of a dude who adores shopping at Publix (where shopping is a pleasure) because I received several gift cards from the joint. Word has obviously leaked out that I shop at Publix more than any other store in the entire universe !
5. Criticize them all you wish, but I can never get enough of KFC‘s Sauceless Hot Wings and Potato Wedges. That’s what I enjoyed for Lunch today. I could have eaten double the amount that I did of wings and wedges. In fact they should make a bucket called ‘Wings & Wedges’ where they just fill ‘er up. I’d buy it up dude !
Those are my thoughts, and I thank you for allowing me to share them with you.
This is what happens when ‘Monday Night Countdown’ is mashed with ‘Saturday Night Retro’.
For those of you who don’t already know this my professional occupation of the past 24 years is essentially a hybrid of Computer Systems & Database Manager / Budget Analyst. I pretty much manage computers and resources for the Department Of Defense. It involves a lot of statistics and EXCEL spreadsheets !
As a kid of the 1970s into the first-half of the 1980s this is not what I had ever dreamed of doing. In fact here are the TOP 5 jobs that I was most interested in doing once I graduated from high school and college:
5. City Planner / Manager
4. NFL Field Goal Kicker
3. High School Teacher
2. TV Weatherman / Meteorologist
1. Radio Deejay / Announcer
Pastor Travis led us. Here are my bulletted takeaways in 15 words or less:
– The church is a spiritual organism.
– It’s a living breathing body with Jesus as the head.
– It’s composed of born-again people.
– Whereever you are – be there.
– That means that if you’re at church then be the church.
– Just because you show up for church doesn’t mean that you are the church.
– God has chosen you to follow Him.
– Some people do so enthusiastically.
– Some people politely turn Him down.
– Some are in total defiance of Him.
– We should always pursue purity and holiness.
– We will never be perfect.
– We tend to pursue sin more than we pursue Jesus.
– We need to starve and kill the sins.
– We can’t serve two masters.
– God is the only Master that should matter.
– We should always believe in Him – even when it’s inconvenient to do so.
– If you’re comfortable on this journey then you’re not living.
December 25TH 1996 – It was the first Christmas with my Mom, Dad, Brother, and Cats up in Jacksonville Florida. They had just moved there after about 28 years up in the Washington D.C. area. That was 2 homes ago (for my parents) and 3 cars ago (for me). I was still in my 20s (!), and my brother was 21. It seems so long ago. It was just a dozen years ago.
Today I drove back home to Homestead from the Jacksonville area, and so another chapter in our lives has now ended. This was our last Christmas in Jacksonville. My parents are getting ready to move (for the final time) to the Dallas Texas area. I’ve got a lot of great memories from the past dozen Christmases (and years) up there, but the good times and great memories shall continue infinitely with my family over in North Texas.
Going back to 1996 I present to you for your ‘Retro’ review this MASSIVESMASH from The Smashing Pumpkins. It’s one of my favourite hit songs of all-time. It’s a 1996 smash that’s all about “1979”. It’s the biggest pop and rock smash of their entire career, and it was Grammy-nominated and certified gold. It’s a hot track that spent 10 months in heavy rotation on TOP 40 radio stations nationwide. Here’s the 1996 MTV Video Music Award winner for ‘Best Alternative Video’.