Several weeks ago as I was cruising the Miami-Dade Metrorail into Downtown Miami we stopped at the Historic Overtown station. I glanced over at a large pile of leftover debris that sat where the Miami Arena once sat. They were building that arena when I first moved to America’s Rivera at the end of 1987. It sat there for 21 years, but its heyday was obviously the 1990s when both the Heat and the Panthers occupied the building. During much of the decade the arena was booming with business up to 5 nights a week with either basketball, hockey, arena football, or music concerts. As the 1990s came to a close its tenants began moving out and into new homes. The Miami Arena began dying a slow death. It was demolished just a few months ago:
I visited The Miami Arena when it was a fresh new modern facility. It was on a warm and rainy night on Friday June 30TH 1989 when I attended a 5-hour concert there sponsored by POWER-96. It was “Club MTV On Tour”, and ‘Downtown’ Julie Brown and the Club MTV Dancers hosted the shindig which featured some of the hottest pop acts at the time LIVE in concert including Was (Not Was), The Information Society, Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam, Tone Loc, and YES – the hottest pop act of them all in 1989 – Milli Vanilli ! Rob and Fab defined pop music in 1989 with their 5 TOP 5 smash hits in a row. This was ultimately the biggest smash of them all – “Baby Don’t Forget My Number”:
That’s “Baby Don’t Forget My Number” from Milli Vanilli – one of the biggest smash hits of 1989 !
‘Saturday Night Retro’ returns in 2 weeks. We’ll see ya then !
TOMORROW on the big green blog I’ll have your ‘Saturday Morning Shenanigans’ in the morning (in lieu of ‘The Major’s Walk-A-Thon’ which has been cancelled due to the frigid cold temperatures). Then stick around for a fresh new ‘Saturday Night Retro’ straight from the heart and soul of 1989.
What do The Information Society, Lisa Lisa And Cult Jam, Milli Vanilli, Tone Loc, Was (Not Was), and SGT Chris M. Day all have in common ? You’ll find out tomorrow night on the ‘Saturday Night Retro’ !
– Don’t confuse this with the ‘Tuesday Night Grab Bag O’ Thoughts’.
– These are the ‘Thursday Night Mini Thoughts’ – in 15 words or less.
– Last week was the pilot episode of it.
– It was a runaway smash hit.
– That means that I’ll be doing this every Thursday night.
– After next week’s ‘Mini Thoughts’ this blog goes on hiatus for a week.
– This blog hasn’t taken a single day off in over 14 months.
– So far in 2009 this blog is averaging over 800 hits per day.
– One year ago this blog wasn’t even averaging 60 hits per day.
– Joel Osteen is on “Infanity” tonight. Ted Haggard is on “Larry King Live“.
– The 5TH season premiere of “Hell’s Kitchen” is on at 9 PM tonight.
– It’s my favourite recurring reality show on a major broadcast network.
– My 2ND favourite ? “Big Brother“. Season 11 begins in July !
– My A.C. is still rockin’ the freon – keepin’ me cool.
– It goes off tonight in preparation of the upcoming cold snap.
– I saw this cold snap coming last weekend.
– Can you believe that January is almost over ?
– Can you believe that this first decade of the 21ST Century is almost over ?
– I’ll have the ‘Friday Night Blogroll Review’ for you tomorrow.
– Post your best and brightest blog entries for consideration.
– The ‘Major Bloggie’ award could be yours !
After 256 regular season games and 10 post season games it all comes down to this – Super Bowl XLIII. It’s an exciting match featuring the 5-time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers against perhaps the most surprising team to make the Super Bowl in modern history – the Arizona Cardinals – who’ve got a handful of ex Pittsburgh Steelers (coaches and players) from their last Super Bowl team.
The Steelers are naturally favoured by a full touchdown with an over-under of 47 points. That would make a final score of Steelers 27 Cardinals 20. I on the other hand am bringing my .637 season-to-date average to the table – and rooting for and picking the Arizona Cardinals to win it all by a score of 33 to 16. Your MVP ? Kurt Warner !
Check out the big game LIVE on NBC-TV. Continuous pregame coverage begins at 12 PM EST / 9 AM PST. Kickoff occurs at around 6:30 PM EST.
Be sure to catch the season finale of ‘My NFL Weekend Game Picks: The Results Show’ – next Wednesday night here on the big green blog.
I’m currently watching Hours 5 and 6 of “Make ‘Em Laugh: The Funny Business Of America” on PBS-TV. For the past 3 Wednesday nights in a row from 8 to 10 PM this 6-hour show has pretty much shown the evolution of comedy from Vaudeville to Radio to Television and the biggest stars that evolved right along with it. Funny Stuff. Comedy today is nothing like it used to be back in the day.
That doesn’t mean that the laughter has stopped. A lot of things on TV and in the Movies make me laugh, but what’s really funny is Life itself. Some of the funniest things in Life occur unintentionally.
For about 24 hours at work – the final hour in the afternoon yesterday and pretty much all day today – I could not stop laughing at the endless things that were happening all around me. They were innocent enough, but they were gutbusting hilarious. It wasn’t just 1 or 2 or 3 events. It was a continuous series of weird, wild, and wacky events all throughout the work day that made me and my coworkers bust a gut. I’m still laughing right now thinking about it all. I’m confident enough to declare that this was clearly the funniest day of my career in modern history !
Funny Stuff all around. It’s fun to laugh. Laughing is good for you. Laughing is the result of Happiness. It keeps us sane.
Here is what some famous people once said about Laughter:
– “The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.” (Mark Twain)
– “Laughter is the Sun that drives Winter from the human face.” (Victor Hugo)
– “If it’s sanity you are after there is no recipe like laughter.” (Henry Elliot)
– “He who has achieved success has worked well, laughed often, and loved much.” (Elbert Hubbard)
– “What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul.” (Proverb)
Have a great evening everyone. Keep on laughing !