1. I just got home from work about an hour later than normal. We had a GINORMOUS Christmas party at work starting at 3 PM. ‘Twas the mother-of-all all-you-care-to-eat buffets (or as I like to pronounce it – ‘boo-fays’), and there was enough food for 75 of us even though there were only about 25 of us. I ate my fair share of food for myself and two other undetermined people. We also had a fun and hilarious Christmas gift exchange where previously opened gifts were being swiped left and right by the participants. I ended up with a totally awesome (and useful for me) gift. Let’s just say that I can buy food with this gift. I HEARD THAT ONE !
2. It’s been a ridiculous week of eating for me. I actually went to Shiver’s BBQ for Lunch today just 3½-hours before the start of the Christmas party this afternoon. Yesterday morning I indulged in what amounted to essentially a 10-course Breakfast at the Cracker Barrel. Get this – 2 scrambled eggs with melted swiss cheese, hickory-smoked bacon, sausage patty, sugar-cured ham, hashbrown casserole, fried apples, cinnamon biscuits, sawmill gravy, grits, buttermilk biscuits, coffee, and water. YEAH ! BRING IT !
3. This past Sunday afternoon me and my girlfriend checked out the hot new Portofino Coal Fired Pizza joint that’s located in the former Atlanta Bread Company restaurant. Portofino clearly poured hundreds of thousands of dollars into the space to make it look real nice and modern. The service was near superb, and the coal-fired pizza was great. I hope this place succeeds. It’s pretty much upscale for Homestead, but I definitely recommend it as long as their service and food remain outstanding. Go check it out and support this hot new local business here in our own hometown.
4. 69 consecutive hours – That’s how long we were stuck in the 50s and 60s here in Homestead from Saturday afternoon through late this (Tuesday) morning. Sunday and Monday were our coldest two days in a row since two similar days way back during the first week of February ! I can’t believe how many people around me were whining and complaining about the cold air invasion. Look for warmer temperatures (day and night) through Christmas Day before it cools back down again late this weekend and into early next week. We could actually be back into the lower-80s on Christmas Day !
5. Box Office Round-Up – Last Friday night we saw the critically trashed box office flop “Did You Hear About The Morgans ?“. Hugh Grant was sarcastically hilarious (my type of humour), and I thought that it was an “A+” movie. It maintained my undivided attention and entertained me all throughout from start to finish, and that’s what matters to me. It was the 15TH movie of the year for me, and that’s one more than I saw in 2008 – and six more than I saw in 2007. Here’s to more screwball comedies and bone chilling thrillers in 2010 !