– It was 60°F in Homestead early this morning with wind chills in the low-50s !
– That made it our coldest Sunday morning since the last Sunday of February 2009 !
– It was much colder outside than it was inside – a true rarity !
– Attendance was clearly up across the board this morning.
– It’s great to see God’s Kingdom expanding right before our very eyes.
– I’m glad that I’m part of that expansion.
– The devil needs to find somewhere else to wreck his havoc.
– My age-mate Mark S. and I co-hosted during the first service.
– Mark led the Communion, Closing, Offering, and Dismissal.
– I led the Welcome and Connection Card orientation.
– Next Sunday morning I’ll be leading the Closing, Offering, and Dismissal.
– During the second service David ‘Ritz‘ co-hosted with Kelly J.
– Ritz did a quick little impersonation of me while he was on stage.
– I gotta admit – it was pretty good too.
– I need to work on my ‘Ritz’ impersonation.
– It’d be like a combination of Butt-head (Beavis’s bud), Goofy, and a surfer-dude.
– I’ll see what I can come up with.
– Lead Pastor Travis J. continued our ‘Misfortune Cookie’ message series.
– It was all about ‘Beer & Partying’.
– Travis wants each and every one of us to stop doing stupid things !
– It is not OK to disagree with the Bible where the message is clear.
– This is clear – drunkenness is prohibited.
– I drank alcohol for 22 years from the age of 18 until the age of 40.
– I could go months and months without drinking.
– But then I would totally binge drink and get drunk in public and act like a fool.
– I stopped drinking completely nearly two years ago.
– I choose total abstinence from alcohol.
– I decided that alcohol in any form didn’t belong at all on my fantastic journey.
– I choose to have Jesus Christ at the core of my heart and soul rather than booze.
– Alcohol caused me to make bad decisions.
– The real sober me had to live with the consequences of those bad decisions.
– I’d rather deal with the consequences of being totally sold out to Christ !
This week’s message was based on the following Scriptures out of The Good News of God: 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Ecclesiastes 8:15, Ephesians 5:18, Isaiah 24:9, 1 Peter 4:3, Proverbs 20:1, Romans 14:13-21, 1 Timothy 5:23
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (NLT, 2ND Ed.)
9 Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God ? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,
10 or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people — none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.
11 Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
Have a great week everybody, and remember to always – BE THE CHURCH !