While growing up as a kid of the 1970s and 1980s we had an ENORMOUS stereo system downstairs in our family room. I think that my Dad bought it while he was stationed in the Philippines during the mid-1960s. I think that it may have actually been custom-made. I do know this. It was HEAVY – several hundred pounds. If the insides of it had been gutted out and made hollow an adult version of me would have been able to lay down inside of it rather comfortably, and you could have stacked another 9 of me on top of me inside of it.
I don’t know how it got there (because of its MASSIVE size and weight), but it was there in our 1969-1972 apartment in Greenbelt Maryland, our 1972-1975 house in Bowie Maryland, our 1975-1980 house in Lanham Maryland, and our 1980-1996 house in McLean Virginia. It did NOT make the move to Jacksonville Florida when my family moved out of the Washington D.C. area.
The ENORMOUS stereo system had a really bad AM / FM radio with no antenna and no reception, but it had a rather decent record player. Down below it all were compartments that were chock-full (a couple hundred) of vinyl records from two distinct time-periods. Half of the albums were from the mid-to-late-1960s, and they were bought by my Dad overseas and stateside. The other half were albums from the late-1970s to early-1980s that I bought via the mail from the old Columbia Record Club.
Since Disco was King back then a large majority of these albums bought by me were from the genre. It was mainstream back when it was the hottest thing going in the entire free nation. Nowadays it’s looked upon in mostly negative ways, but it’s just so very easy to criticize something that’s past its prime, or run its course, or faded out into oblivion. You can’t deny that it’s a vital part of Americana.
The Village People – currently LIVE on tour here in South Florida – released a half a dozen albums during a short period of time from 1977 to 1980, and they were one of the hottest Disco groups around. I think that I had all of their biggest albums of the time. One of them – “Go West” – included this 1979 Disco smash:
The music video was shot aboard the USS Reasoner (FF-1063) which was owned and operated by the U.S. Navy from 1971 to 1993. It is now a Turkish ship.
– It’s time to get spontaneous here.
– I’m not even thinking before I begin typing.
– I’m just typing whatever flashes across my mind in the given moment.
– I think faster than I type.
– Once upon a time I could type faster than 60 words per minute.
– Then I got old.
– How old am I ?
– Kids getting their driver’s license today were born in 1993 when I was 26.
– If I were in charge then kids wouldn’t be getting driver’s licenses.
– I just got off of the telephone with one of my favourite people on this journey.
– Her name is Ela, and we’ve been walking together for the past 30 months.
– Ela keeps track of me and ensures that I don’t stray from this journey.
– I think that God gave her that as a task to do while she’s here on Earth.
– Ela will be here with us for awhile.
– She’s on ‘God’s Kingdom Expansion Crew’.
– I went to Publix today during my Lunch break.
– It’s my favourite and most-visited store in the entire universe.
– Dude I have a weakness for these morsels of delightfulness:
– Publix has them as ‘Buy 1 Get 1 Free’.
– That’s 2 boxes for the price of 1 – a $3.99 value !
– That’s about 72 Pop’ems for $3.99 – or barely more than a nickel per pop.
– I may have to nab a couple more boxes before the promotion ends next week.
– Incidentally I ate Lunch at Beef ‘O’ Brady’s this past Wednesday.
– I think I found the tastiest buffalo chicken wings in all of Homestead.
– Those wings were outrageously scrumptious !
– It was shocking how big and juicy and tasty they were indeed.
– I coulda sat there all afternoon eating them there wings.
– I know that’s right ‘G’ !
– I second that emotion !
– OK we’re goin’ to the Disco tomorrow night here on the groovy blog.
– The Village People are in town, so we’ll cruise back to 1979 to join the Navy.
– Until then keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars !
– Oh yeah – and keep your web browser tuned – right where it is.
– You won’t regret it pal.
It’s what you’re lookin’ for on a Tuesday night in the blogosphere:
1. So there I was bending down to get a closer look at a rather large reptile when it suddenly lunged forward to bite my face off. Right before the impact I WOKE UP from that dream, and that’s how my Tuesday began at approximately 5:20 AM.
2. Car runs stop sign. Car pulls right in front of me. Car speeds up so that I don’t have to slam on my brakes. Next car runs stop sign. Next car pulls right in front of car that ran first stop sign. First car gets annoyed. First car passes second car. First car pulls over right in front of second car. Second car slams on brakes. They deserve each other. That’s how we kick it in Homestead !
3. I know that I’ve said this many times before, but as hectic as today was at work it was perhaps one of my finest days of my entire 25-year USAF career. It just keeps on getting better for me. Thank You Lord Jesus !
4. Next Tuesday morning I meet my new Family Practice Doctor that took me nearly a year to select from a long list of such Doctors south of Miami. I scheduled myself for a routine physical as a new patient. Overall I feel healthier and stronger today than I have felt in modern recorded history, but it’s what I don’t feel that could be killing me softly. Hopefully everything inside me is working just fine.
5. I am so looking forward to the 2009 NFL season. The first exhibition game is just 12 days away, and my Washington Redskins play their first game against their next door neighbours – the Baltimore Ravens – 4 days after that. I’m there ! It’s been a long time since last season. Too long.
YEAR 3 of the longest-running occasional series here on this blog begins NOW !
– ‘If your cookie is in 2 pieces, the answer is yes.’
My Analytical Assessment – Besides the fact that we have yet another gramatically-incorrect statement we also have a rather obvious statement. There’s no way that I could possibly read the fortune cookie message if the cookie was not in two pieces; therefore, the answer will always be ‘Yes’. ‘No’ is an unacceptable answer. ‘YES WE CAN !’
Ela – YES I DID select a new Doctor. YES I DID schedule myself for a routine physical with that new Doctor.
– It’s the 3RD week of our ‘Devastation & Redemption’ message series.
– This week’s message – ‘Restoration: More Than Just A Road To Recovery’.
– It’s based on the Book of Joel – Chapter 2 Verses 18 to 27.
– It’s not about what we can get back from God.
– It’s all about what we can give to God.
– It’s not about 20 minutes of ‘Praise & Worship’ on a Sunday morning.
– It’s all about ‘Praise & Worship’ 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.
– Does how we live our Life truly honour God ?
– For 5 months in 1993 I was unemployed and ‘reliving my youth’.
– I was living in a tiny studio efficiency in a rough part of Melbourne Florida.
– I had crack dealers and users as nearby neighbours.
– I was surrounded by sin, and I wasn’t entirely innocent myself.
– I didn’t know what my next job would be.
– I didn’t know God back then.
– But even then God knew me, and He took care of me during those hard times.
– He was in charge of me even when I didn’t realize it.
– He never begged and pleaded for me to change my ways and follow Him.
– He waited another 13 years for me to pick myself up and grab His hand.
– I took the correct ‘fork in the road’ – unlike every other time before then.
– That’s when I realized that God created it all, and He owns it all.
– It’s when I realized that God has given us everything that we need.
– All of His creation is merely on loan to us.
– We can’t take it with us.
– We should never have faith in material goods.
– We should always have faith in God.
– My Life Pointe Church family is just like me.
– We are a large collection of dysfunctionals.
– We are a bunch of underperformers.
– We are all too far from God.
– We must constantly progress forward into the daylight to get closer to Him.
– We must never get comfortable.
– We must continue to mature and intensify our personal relationship with God.
– It must always be about Him.
– May God Bless each and every one of you reading this.
– He loves you more than you could ever love Him back.