It’s the Election Day Night edition of the ‘Grab Bag’. Here’s what I’m thinking:
1. Smooth talking + saying anything + hundreds of millions of dollars + the media on your side = getting elected as our next President Of The United States Of America. The most qualified man for the job doesn’t always win.
2. I’m a realist. I’m also a statistician. We’ll find out during the 9 PM EST hour for sure that Barack Obama has clinched the 270 electoral votes required to win the Presidency. When all is said and done I really believe that Barack Obama will take between 35 and 40 ‘blue’ states and win in a MASSIVE landslide.
3. One party in control of the House, the Senate, and the White House – the Democrats – is the perfect antidote for the ailing Republican Party. We need a few years to reorganize and get our act together. We need to find and equip the next generation of young Republicans. Sarah Palin is an excellent start. Let’s work from there. We need something better for 2010 and 2012.
4. If John McCain were to pull off the miracle upset and win this thing then we would have the same problem that we’ve had since the end of 2000. That would be bitter Democrats who actually believe that the election was stolen from them – only this time the bitterness would be racially-motivated. It’s harder to run this country and set its agenda for the next four years when half of the country disrespects you from the very start. President George W. Bush was obviously the most disrespected President in modern United States history. The same would happen to John McCain as well. A Barack Obama presidency would begin the healing process. I just hope that the media has the guts to report both sides of such a presidency – not just the ‘feel-good’ positive news.
*** ALERT *** – This final thought has absolutely nothing to do with politics.
5. There’s a new breed of driver here in Homestead, and this breed appears to be multiplying. It’s the motorist that drives a bit below the posted speed limit (by as much as 5 to 7 MPH), yet still fails to come to a complete stop at stop signs and red lights. These are the ones that will pull out directly in front of you after plowing through a stop sign at no less than 10 MPH, and then slowly proceed up to a steady speed of perhaps 35 MPH – in a 40 MPH posted speed limit zone !
Those are my thoughts on this Tuesday night. Thanks for your time in reading ’em.