22 years ago in 1987 I was a 20-year-old living in Gloucestershire in the southwest of England. Cirencester (to the west) and Swindon (to the south) were the nearest cities, and I visited both of them fairly often. Swindon was the place to go shopping and hook up with British Rail on my trips over to London. Swindon was also the home to this highway monstrosity:
I never drove a car while over in the U.K., as I rode with friends or took public transportation. I lived perhaps a mile from the village of Fairford. I walked to and from the village at least once a week or so.
That’s my military unit from November 1985 to November 1987.
NO edition of the ‘Saturday Night Retro’ is complete without a big hit song from the times, so here we go with this week’s retro classic flashback from the past. It’s the 1987 European dance remix of the 1975 disco smash “You Sexy Thing” from Hot Chocolate. Get up and dance my friends !
For about 19 years during the 1980s and 1990s CNN talk show legend Mr. Larry King wrote a weekly column in USA Today that is actually the true inspiration behind my own ‘Thursday Night Mini Thoughts’. Larry’s mini thoughts were essentially whatever came to him at the time, and no two thoughts really had anything to do with one another. The column was parodied at the time by The Onion as well as Norm Macdonald on “Saturday Night Live !“.
My brother and I have a long-running gag where we’ll E-Mail or text one another over and over again various ridiculous (fake) ‘Larry King Moments’ in an effort to make the other one laugh hysterically. We’ve also done this in person where we’ll try to outdo each other with an even more outrageous ‘Larry King Moment’.
Here are some examples that I managed to archive over the years:
– ‘There is nothing better to drink early in the morning than a glass of … RED WINE !’
– ‘He is a role model to children, and he exemplifies how staying away from drugs will take you far in life … Mr. Woody Harrelson !”
– ‘If I could only sleep with one woman for the rest of my life, it would definitely be … Estelle Getty !’
– ‘Here’s a great idea that I’m sure you’ve never thought of before as an extra unique Father’s Day gift … Old Spice Cologne !’
– ‘Friends if you can only rent one movie on DVD this weekend then you can’t go wrong with … “Troop Beverly Hills” !’
– ‘I don’t know about you, but whenever I watch “CSI” it just makes me smile !’
– ‘A brand new, groundbreaking, original television show that I have just discovered. I bow down to the creative geniuses that brainstormed and developed THE best new show of 2009, ladies and gentlemen … I would like to introduce you all to … “The Simpsons” !’
– ‘One of the greatest theatrical masterpieces in the entire history of television is a show known as … “According To Jim” !’
– ‘This may seem incredibly far-fetched to most people, but I truly believe that a small handheld device known as a ‘cell phone’ may begin taking off in popularity in perhaps 10 or 20 years from now.’
Feel free to post your own ridiculous (fake) ‘Larry King Moments’.