It’s the 2ND Sunday of January in 2009, and here’s what’s up:
– This morning Pastor Travis told us all about Charles Finney.
– He lived for about 83 years during much of the 19TH Century.
– Read his Wikipedia entry here.
– His concern was the lost.
– He was all about prayer meetings, seeker classes, home visits, and altar calls.
– We must be humble with our repentance.
– We must repent of our sins and turn to God.
– We must be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of our sins.
– We must believe in life-changing prayer.
– We must keep on asking, for we shall receive.
– We must keep on seeking, for we shall find.
– We must keep on knocking, for we shall have a door opened for us.
– We must have a public faith in Jesus Christ.
– We must be loud and proud to everyone that we personally know Him.
– We must disciple to those loved ones who are lost.
– It’s all about reaching out to the lost, and guiding them to their saviour.
– It’s all about being the hands and the feet of Jesus here on Earth.
– It’s all about expanding His Kingdom here on Earth and keeping Satan far away.
Matthew 10:32-42 (NLT, 2ND Ed.)
32 “Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.
33 But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven.
34 “Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth ! I came not to bring peace, but a sword.
35 ‘I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
36 Your enemies will be right in your own household !
37 “If you love your father or mother more than you love me, you are not worthy of being mine; or if you love your son or daughter more than me, you are not worthy of being mine.
38 If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine.
39 If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it.
40 “Anyone who receives you receives me, and anyone who receives me receives the Father who sent me.
41 If you receive a prophet as one who speaks for God, you will be given the same reward as a prophet. And if you receive righteous people because of their righteousness, you will be given a reward like theirs.
42 And if you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of my followers, you will surely be rewarded.”